I started this holiday break a month ago pumped for the trip and the associated fundraising, but confused as to where to begin.
1. Applying for, being accepted to, and connecting with the 4k for Cancer Team
2. Setting up my personal blog
3. Networking with other bloggers and past 4k for Cancer riders
- First, I met Stef Woods back on campus during a HyperNetwork panel on networking via social media. Informative and entertaining, the panel helped me to start my social media venture. Stef Woods shared some tips with me on connecting to my audience regarding cancer related issues. She had blogged during her personal battle against breast cancer. I encourage you to follow her entertaining pieces at http://citygirlblogs.com.
- Second, through Stef Woods I was able to get in touch with Ali Samadpour, a 4k for Cancer Alumnus who has given me some of the best advice regarding fundraising, training and the ride.
- Third, recently stumbling across Steve Kamb's up-and-coming fitness blog ( http://nerdfitness.com), I found more excellent advice for overall health and training. Furthermore, Steve has been gracious enough to offer me advice on enhancing my blog. Anyone interested in health and fitness but doesn't know where to start--or is looking for a dedicated community to join-- should check out NerdFitness.
5. Beginning to set-up a fundraising event. More info coming within the next month.
6. Learning to enjoy the disbelief in people's faces when I tell them that I'm cycling 4,000 miles across America
What Needs Improvement:
1. I need to get more serious with my actual training. Hence, I'm looking forward to returning to campus, which places a gym and ready-to-eat meals at my fingertips. No jogging in the cold, no preparing food--I can just get up early each morning and go.
2. Gathering local support from the Staten Island community. I am continuing to reach out to local newspapers, radio stations and businesses. It's coming together slower than I would like, but the community is beginning to join-together nonetheless.
3. My fundraising method. I lack defined goals that will help encourage donors while establishing clear asks. I will seek to set weekly donation goals in the coming months.
4. Dialogue with YOU, my audience!
So please, bear with me as I continue to improve and prepare for the ride this summer. I am incredibly excited for what lies ahead and grateful for the early support that you have shown.
Don't forget to spread the word! ( And comments/questions are always welcomed :) )