Friday, August 24

Day Sixty-Two: A Grand Ol' Time at the Coulee Dam

Today was slightly more difficult than I anticipated...



Maybe it was the barren, Eastern Washington land that got to me, or maybe it's just that I expect these last days to be easier (except for the Cascades).



It may have been the lack of shade. I've always disliked the lack of shade, the sun beating over my head for the whole day.



At some point, though, Eastern Washington gives way to shade, and water-- meet the Grand Coulee Dam:



Tonight we attended a laser light show at the dam. Projectors stationed around the park project a motion laser show on to the dam wall. It was an interesting story that personified the "mighty Columbia River," utilizing the character to narrate the history of the area (and the dam). Although it was entertaining, it's important to note that it was also a wonderful piece of good ol' American Propaganda.

I can look past that though, and end with this: Grand Coulee has  been a welcoming oasis in the Eastern Washington desert.

Trekking Through Washington,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment